Raspberry Sponge Flan
Recipe by Belling
Preparation time: 40 minutes
Cooking time: 10–12 minutes
Calories per portion: 175 Kcal
Fat per portion: 4g of which is saturated 0.9g
Suitable for vegetarians + freezing
The flan may also be made with a mixture of raspberries and sliced strawberries or all strawberries, if preferred.
3 large eggs. 75g (3oz) caster sugar. 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
75g (3oz) plain flour. 75g (3oz) Quark
2 tbsp apricot high fruit content spread (no added sugar)
250g (9oz) raspberries. Icing sugar for sifting
Mint leaves to decorate
1. To make the sponge flan case, preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/ Gas 4. Lightly grease and flour a 25cm (10in) sponge flan tin.
2. Break the eggs into a large mixing bowl, add the caster sugar and vanilla extract and then whisk together (preferably with a handheld electric mixer) for approximately 10 minutes, until the mixture becomes very thick and creamy, and light in colour.
3. Gently sift the flour into the bowl and then carefully fold the flour into the egg mixture using a large metal spoon. Pour the mixture into the prepared flan tin, spread it evenly across the base and bake for 10–12 minutes, or until well risen, feels springy to the touch and has slightly shrunk away from the sides of the tin.
4. Allow the flan case to cool in the tin for 5–10 minutes, then carefully turn it out onto a wire rack to cool completely. Transfer it onto a serving plate.
5. Put the quark and fruit spread into a bowl and gently blend together with a wire whisk or fork.
6. Spread the apricot mixture over the bottom of the flan case, and then arrange the raspberries in circles on top and scatter over mint leaves. Sift icing sugar over the top, then cover and keep refrigerated until ready to serve.